Trending Cotton T-Shirts: Lighter, Softer & More Fashion Foward Fit
Budget Friendly, Value Basics: Standard Cotton Feel, More Boxy Fit
Specialty 100% Cotton T-Shirts
Important Terms with 100% Cotton Garments
While there are tons of different types of garments made with cotton (broadcloth, chenille, corduroy to name a few), we will still with the ones that matter to custom cotton t-shirts.
- Ringspun Cotton– T-shirts made with ringspun cotton threads are typically softer than standard cotton. The yarn is spun an additional time that is intended to create a softer, stronger fiber. If the description does not list ringspun, you'll get carded cotton which is the basic run of the mill harder cotton.
- Combed Cotton- A yarn that has gown through the process of removing sort fibers to create extra fineness and uniformity. Combed & ringspun processes are often combined together to create something even softer than using one or the other. This is one of the softest feels you will get for your custom shirt.
- Egyptian Cotton- Direct from Egypt’s Nile River Valley, this is considered to be one of the finest cottons in the world. Most commonly used in linens and towels.
- Jersey Knit Cotton- This is a special weaving process that creates a more flat, smooth faced texture. Typically will be thinner than standard cotton products.
- Pima Cotton- Typically stronger than standard cotton, this cotton is specially named when it’s from a longer growing season in select areas in the world.
- Chino Cotton- A mid-weight twill fabric typically used for work clothing or uniforms and has a tigheter weave which increases durability.
Benefits of 100% Cotton T-Shirts
Are 100% cotton tees your favorite? You would not be alone. Surely you’ve heard of the jingle “Cotton – the fabric of our lives”! According to thefabricofourlives.com, cotton t-shirts have some amazing benefits. Check out the fabric benefits below so you can have the right fabric for your t-shirt project.
- Breathability– T-shirts made with ringspun cotton threads are typically softer than standard cotton. The yarn is spun an additional time that is intended to create a softer, stronger fiber. If the description does not list ringspun, you'll get carded cotton which is the basic run of the mill harder cotton.
- Cotton T-Shirts Smell Less- The smelly substances in our world around us including food smells and sweat are more easily released by cotton. Thus, you will smell less when wearing cotton t-shirts. Who doesnt want that?! This will have a long term benefit as well, especially in the food industry.
- Lower Maintenece Fabric- This is a debatable point depending on what you define as an easy to wash product. We love it because its machine washable! It downside is it does shrink. Start with a pre-shrunk cotton t-shirt if you want to minimize the shrinkage that will occur.
- Static-Cling Resistant- When was the last time you had static cling issues with your 100% cotton t-shirt? Never! Cotton does not conduct static electricity like polyester so its a great choice during those dry winter months.
- Cotton is an Organic Material- While not all cotton is organic in the sense of its grown organically, cotton is in no way man made and is considered a renewable resource. You can feel good about your purchase! You can even purchase organically grown cotton shirts if you really want to be eco-friendly.